App Creation Strategy and $2892 in profit with no bloody idea
January 2, 2014
[This post has become famous thanks to TUAW, claiming my strategy was "spamming the app store] I suggest watching this video first.
So I started my app income process and I did everything wrong from October 25th…. (well not everything but anyway…) here are the result:
My First App was Launched around the 10th of November… I decided to play the reskin game. Although this was not my first app, it was my first public app. Previously I had worked on Join Ventures and apps created for customers. This time I was going to have fun and try to make some quick $$$$ .
Disclaimer: didn’t read any reskin book, any course, any blueprint, seminar or pre-crap ebook … I just did it my way
November and December Combined
- 35 apps sent, 29 published – 6 rejected
- Same code (Reskin method)
- Different Niche
- No reviews asked or requested.
- Only ASO used to generate traffic.
- Revmob November and December combined: $1646
- Charboost November and December Combined: $1432
- InApp Purchased $1914
Total income $4992
Average cost per app $60
Total cost $2100
Total Profit $2892
Last app uploaded : End of November
Work done in December: None
Things I did bad:
1) The apps are not good. Period. The code we used in this project wasn’t ideal. Although the app works, I didn’t spend time to analyze the behavior of the user…. funny wise some users love the apps, I believe they can be much better.
I though that any code will do…. big mistake.
2) I’m crap dealing with partners. I started this project with a great guy but my stupid ego got involved and relationship and we end up ending up agreement. He end up producing more apps in December
3) I over did it. I sent to many apps too fast. the app store. In fact last 10 apps got rejected for “same type of apps” – I was too busy to even care. So I didn’t change them
4) I took it too serious and then dropped the ball 100% in December.
5) No localization = huge mistake
6) No rank tracking using app tools (Yes… crazy that the ASO god ignores tracking his own apps)
7) To furious to fast… some apps were sent with mistakes, bugs, performance…
8) No analytics . We have no idea what the user does with the app itself.
9) Horrible communication with developer
Things I did great:
1) Outsourcing graphic work
2) Dealing with VA’s to produce a factory of apps. My team in the Philippines are Ninjas.
3) Saving money producing a better production line. Every week we became faster.
4) I had fun… until some stage
5) ASO was done brilliantly – lol
6) Market researched worked pretty well.
7) Choosing an unconventional market , rather than trying to compete vs all the fruit ninjas retards out there.
8) Good copy writing in the app descriptions…. made it fun and I bet increased downloads.
The Goals for January
Achieve $3000 recurrent profit (from original 35 apps)
Be more organized.
Recover those 10 apps rejected (they are in the dead zone now)
Upload 30 new apps with a different code….
Launch a Joint Venture with other app entrepreneur launching 20 apps (different code)
All this before my trip to Climb Mount Kilimanjaro in January 23th
Number of apps alive expected by February 1st : 75 (+20 shared)